Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Part II

So, we get down to the area of the course, check into the Embassy Suites, right at the start line for the race, score! We are on the third floor, with a corner suite that has two beds, a fold out, fridge and two big TV's. Man we are set. We got all of our numbers the day before, thanks Ashley Trevisio for doing this for the people that signed up for both races, this was a bonus. While we sat there, we decided, this was a good time to get our frame numbers ready and our jersey numbers pinned on so that part would be finished and out of the way.
Chris had decided that it would be cool to go catch a movie, just to sit and chill out, get some laughs in and enjoy the rest of the day. With the bikes ready, we drove maybe 5 minutes to the movie theatre. We got sat down and watched "The Other Guys." Great movie and just what we needed to relax. I even got to throw my froglegs over the seat in front of me, since no one was in it.
Left there for supper which was right next door and then back to the hotel. We were in full chill mode by 8:30. Harkey and I were in one room watching TV while the others were watching the other TV. I told Chris that this was the first time that we were actually ready for the next day at a descent time, usually we are up until close to midnight, which makes for a hard early morning wake up. Not this time, and I think that was really key to success. We all sprang out of bed the next morning, and ate breakfast. The other guys caught up on football, I made some coffee, we had time to get ready and not rush.
The race started fast and furious, with a bad crash that got local man Cleve Blackwell, he is sore, and fortunately, nothing is broken.
A group got up the road, but Big George and Craig Lewis along with Frank Travesio and a rider from Fly "V" were on the front reeling it in. This was perfect, the work I had been doing up to this weekend had prepared me for a lined out fast paced run down. From there it was jump and follow, attack and move. Things happen fast. Four more guys get away and stick it to the end. Myself and John get in a group of about eight and split from the field. I take the last turn first and gun it, and I mean I gave it the gas! I went into full blown time trial mode, picking up speed. I hit the last hill of the day, standing to get every last gear inch I had. On the famous downhill, I continued to pedal as hard as I could, 53X11 to come across the line in 5th place, ahead of the small group. John got 11th, David pulled 30th and Nick on his first time, set his personal bar high with 33rd. A great day, with great friends and a great result. The only thing I could have asked better would have been to be four more place up the road!!

No comments:

Post a Comment